Foreword by Shunsuke Katsuta
Acknowledgements & Transliteration of Japanese
Introduction: The Route to Japanese Trade
Part I: Interactions –Ancient and Modern
1. Sakoku, Tokugawa Policy, and the interpretation of Japanese history
2. Knowledge and Use of Japanese by the Dutch on Dejima Island, Nagasaki
3. Review of James W. White’s Ikki: Social Conflict and Political Protest in Early Modern Japan
4. Gulliver in Japan: Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels
5. Japan in a Changing Asia: Achievements and Opportunities Missed
Part II: Statistical Resources of and Interactions with Tokugawa Japan
6. Population: Tokugawa Population: The Archival Issues
7. Coastal Trade: Statistics of Tokugawa Coastal Trade and Bakumatsu and Early Meiji Foreign Trade.
Part 1: Coastal Trade in Tokugawa Times
8. Post-1859 Foreign Trade: Statistics of Tokugawa Coastal Trade and Bakumatsu and Early Meiji Foreign Trade.
Part 2: Trade in Bakumatsu and Early Meiji Times.
9. Archives: Japanese Archives: Sources for the Study of Tokugawa Administration and Japanese History
10. The Foreign Trade of Nagasaki: The Nagasaki Trade of the Tokugawa Era: Archives, Statistics and Management